Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Vocabulary #8

Cursory- going rapidly per something without noticing details.
I went over my homework in a cursory manner.
Impetus- a moving force
Pinnacle- highest point of success 
Steve jobs, in my opinion, met his pinnacle in his work that he accomplished.
Contumely- humiliating insult
He kept teasing the kids, and was gave them contumely.
Bereavement- a period of mourning after a loss, especially a loved one
After my great grandma died, I was in a state of bereavement.
Cache- hiding place; anything so hidden 
The robbers didnt find the cache of jewelry we had in the house.
Consummation- completion; fulfillment
The consummation of her driving test, abled her to get her license.
Calamity- great misfortune of disaster
Hurricane sandy was such a calamity.
Avarice - desire to gain and hoard wealth
I am a very avarice person to a certain point.
Fortify- to protect or strengthen against attack; to make strong 
The whole town was heavily fortified.
Erratic- not proper course in conduct; eccentric 
When my sister is hyper she acts in an erratic behavior.
Ubiquitous- existing or being everywhere at the same time
My mom seems to be ubiquitous very time I am talking about my personal life.
Fortitude- mental and emotional strength in facing difficulty, adversity, danger or temptation.
The big party I heard about didn't lessen my fortitude, because I needed to get homework done.
Nonchalant- casual
I tend to act nonchalant in front of people I have problems with because I don't like drama.
Affect - to act on
The weather affected my mood and I had gotten distracted on the task I was suppose to complete.
Effect- produced by a cause; result
There is always a good effect to a good cause.
Misappropriate- not appropriate 
The way she was acting in the meeting was very misappropriate and unprofessional.
Pragmatic- pertaining to a practical point of view
He was acting very pragmatic about his opinion about dogs.
Meta cognition- higher order thinking that enables understanding, analysis, ... Especially when engaged in learning.
Devoutly- expressing devotion to divine worship or service
 I act especially devout when I am in mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment