Thursday, October 24, 2013

Literary analysis #3

1. I did my literary analysis on the book "A Child Called "it" ." Such an impeccable story. It's about a young boy who lives a wonderful life but his mother turns into this monster and makes David's life a living hell. She tortures her poor son physically and emotionally. She starves him, brutally beats him, stabs him, makes him sit on a burning stove! She plays these horrible "games" with him to break him down but somehow David find the spirit to never let that happen. He never gives up and perseveres through all this madness till he's free. When I first read this I was extremely disturbed. I can't believe that his has actually happened and maybe is still happening today to innocent children or people. Emotional and physical abuse is never the answer to anything. It's a horrific feeling that no human being should experience. I boiled down to the conclusion that yes, bad things do happen to us, but it's our choice to grow from it, and move on. We have to be strong and never let anything hold us back from what we desire. Look on the bright side of life.
2. I think the writer David Pelzer, wrote about the topic of abuse because he was abused himself. This is his story and I think this is a huge way for him to move on. Writing this book, I would think, have him closure. Accept the fact that this happened but he's a stronger person from it and he could only move forward from this point. I also think he wrote this to relate to other people that have been abused in any sort of way and to let them know to not be afraid. It doesn't last forever and to let someone know before it's too late. Turn it into something positive in your life. Just like he did.
3. I chose this book because I remember my friend from junior high saying how it was such a compelling book and that I had to read it but I never got around to it, and what more better of an opportunity than to do it for my literary analysis. First off, I love non fiction books, they're my favorite. I like stories that have real life topics where the reader can relate and it's realistic. I was hooked in the very beginning! It started off with his mother beating him and it makes you think why is this happening and makes you want to read more.
4. I definitely found this book realistic. Abuse goes on in our world today and is happening everywhere, physically, emotionally, or maybe even both. I personally can't relate to being abused, I mean I've been scolded and hit, but not to the extent where I would call it abuse. I can relate it to stories I hear on the news, just like what recently happened to a Vikings football players son. His 2 year old was beaten to death by the mothers boyfriend 😧 So horrible!!! I can't imagine what his motives were. That is so evil and extremely sad. I feel for the parents and loved ones.
1. I think if we met the subjects in the story the mom would be maybe a little less angry and a bit more depressed. As for the rest of the characters I think they would be the same. I think he chose to have the mom be so torturous to show how evil she was and the excruciating things he had to go through. It gives the audience more of an idea of how his living environment was. The authors tone is scared but hopeful. I think he meant to depict that they were at the lowest points in their lives but once you've reached the bottom, you can only go up from there.
2. The mother of "it", Mrs. Pelzer is a fat alcoholic lady, who parties at night and wakes up in the morning with the same makeup on and outfit from last night, with a rats nest for hair. She is very depressed and takes it out on David, her son, who she tortures. 
David is a boy who is just scared. Has experienced the most loving family to the nightmare of a household he is experiencing now. He has been abused mentally and physically. Doesn't keep up with his hygiene, and wears raggedy clothes that have the worst stench. Though he is very intelligent he has given up in a certain point in his life but preservers through all of his troubles and ends up happy. I think the mother is an example of direct characterization and David is indirect characterization.
3. Mrs. Pelzer and David Pelzer are interesting enough to write about because theirs emotions strike out the most. They are the most relatable and you could actually feel what they are feeling by just reading their actions and words.
1. An example of direct characterization from this story is the way Mrs. Pelzer is described. I would depict her as a carless, lonely, mad person who is so angry and takes it out on the people around her, also how she abuses David. The ways she abuses him is not because he's a troubled child, it's because she's angry and not in her right mind. Two examples of indirect characterization that David had in this book were his feelings he had, he was sad but you didn't know if he was going to cover up for his mother or not. His actions showed that he is a strong person and such great spirits. I think the author did this so the reader can be compelled and want to figure out the character and why he or she is feeling a certain way or so they'll hypothesize what is going to happen next.
2. The authors diction did change as he was talking about a different character. When he was focused on the mother, the tone was angry and more forward. When he would talk about David , he would use a more scared tone, making him seem like a victim.
3. The protagonist is the story, which is David is a very dynamic character. He changes throughout the story to become a strong person who has been through hell and back to a happy person, who learned from the past and is molded to the person he is today. He is also a round character because it is obvious that he just wants to be free from the abuse and move on from the bad in his life.
4. I feel like I had read the character because I personally can't relate but I felt the emotion the author felt so I guess you can say I met him. It was very powerful.
1. the author used foreshadowing for example when David was called to the office after he had gotten checked by the nurse for his bruises and wounds. You knew that things were going to change. The author was in the future and went back to the past to explain what happened and how he had gotten to that point.
2. The author uses both dialogue and description as the story goes on. It helps the reader feel as if they were there and put themselves in the characters' shoes. 
3. The author uses action to demonstrate the tone of the story and create the mood.
4. I think the authors attitude toward the audience is to be informative. I feel like he just wants to tell his story and inform people on what he's been through and how he rose above it. He just wants to let people know that you will get through the most worst situations with hope and spirit. Just stick in there.
5. The author used the meeting he had with the teachers and officer, it did make a difference because it helped the reader understand the severity.
Two lessons that I have learned from this book is one; we are all survivors and we'll make it through! I believe as long as we have faith in GOD we can get through anything, regardless of the situation. If you hit rock bottom, it can't get any worse, it can only get better. We are strong and we can get past anything if we want too. We can't let bad things affect us, we need to grow from it and move on. Another lesson I have learned from this book that ill take to my grave is never take your family and their unconditional love for granted. Something that comes so natural for us , may not come so easy for others. Always be there for your family and love them till you can't anymore because you never know when you won't be able to anymore. 
"Mom holding me tightly. I could feel her heart beat. I never felt as safe and as warm at that moment in time, at the Russian River."
" There is absolutely no doubt in my mind how far you have truly come."

No comments:

Post a Comment